Sunday, June 14, 2009

Petersburg, 2011

Wouldn't that be cool?

I may get to do just that. We will see. St. Petersburg is a place of my dreams that is for sure.

So today I reanimated one of my old Russian dictionaries. I probably have 20 of them. It was okay to dedicate one to the fires of art, yes?

I started by making some "water" out of a reanimated security envelope. The insides of these are crazy cool.


If you want to use a lot of the real estate of these, use a heat gun to neatly undo the seals where it is stuck together. Just heat them up and the glue will let go. Then cut it up as needed. I just needed a little stripe.

I punched squares from my Russian dictionary and rounded their corners. I sponged them with brown ink to age them.

Then I stamped little fishies from the Stampin' Up! Just Beachy set and colored them with gel pens.

I outlined them in white to pop them off the page a bit.

I added some of the new dotty Stampin' Up! ribbon and voila - quick and easy double Reanimation.

Lots of paper in the world. Use it, don't buy it! :)

6 comments:

Jenn in GA said...

i made a card using this cool, hidden paper on my blog too, thanks to your inspiration!

i'll have to be on the lookout for more cool envie interiors...that really does make for great "water".

tonilea said...

This is cool Lydia. I saved it to my CASED CARDS file so I will remember to try it. I saved it as "understand blue fishes" and then I laughed. I thought you would get a kick out of the title.
loveyaisaiditlast tonilea

Lisa Atha said...

Lydia,

Ok, this is my favorite reanimated card that you have made so far. What a creative idea that was. This is too cute! I love it, and I am gonna try it!

Lisa A.

Jean Franks Beck said...

How do you think of these things... a security envelope?! Very cute card!!! I had to chuckle when you explained how the "security" envelope just totally gives up under the heat... like a wimpy watchdog, no? Yes, I know, that's not what makes them "security envelopes.." Anyway, great card, and great blue bird card on the sheet music (very cool) over at UB. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

You are brilliant. I love you more and more! So, move to Austin, you say? *giggles*

Eliece said...

I've just discovered your blog and love it. This is such a great idea. I adapted it to make a birthday card by hanging the message "We FISH you a happy birthday" on a fishhook made from a jewelry findings eye pin. I suspended it from a string that wraps around the card layer so it dangles freely among the fish. I have a hard time coming up with cards for men/boys, so I'm loving this one. PS I lived in Austin in the 70s and still have great friends there. Am now in Alvin.